Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Vegan101 ~ Cheese Enchiladas

So Sunday afternoon I went to my first Vegan101 small group. The leader explained how one of the hardest things people who are vegetarians to give up is cheese. So she had a couple of cheese like recipes to show us.

The first recipe I will be sharing with you was called Healthy Nacho Cheese - however when the teacher made these she put one of the ingredients from the Healthy Nacho Cheese into the other cheese recipe- and I actually liked what she came up with. I will write out the recipe how I liked it but I will make a note of what you can do to go by what she meant to make.

Healthy Cheese

2 C. Water
1/2 C. additional water
1/4 C. raw cashews
1 T. lemon juices
3 T. nutritional yeast
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 C. cornstarch
1 1/4 tsp sea salt

The 2 cups of water will be brought to a boil while you are working on this next part - in a blender add the remaining ingredients including the additional 1/2 cup water mentioned. Pour blended mixture into the boiling water and continue cooking, and stirring until it thickens.

*If you do not have a high powered blender - be sure and soak your cashews to soften them up. Also if you buy your cashews in bulk - be sure and wash them before using them. I did not realize that this needed to be done. So I learned something important in this class for sure.

In order to make this recipe the "Healthy Nacho Cheese" you will add 1 4 ounce jar of pimientos or 1 red bell pepper and this will be added to the blender to be mixed.

She used the Healthy Cheese Recipe to make a delicious pan of cheese enchiladas.

Cheese Enchiladas

8-10 corn tortillas
1 recipe of - "Health Cheese" or "Healthy Nacho Cheese" (as pictured -"Healthy Cheese)
1 15 ounce vegan refried beans(otherwise they have lard in them)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 T. chopped parsley - fresh or dried

Pour about 3/4 cup of Healthy Cheese in the bottom of 8X11 inch baking dish. Soften tortillas by wrapping tortillas in paper towel and microwave for 30 - 40 seconds(or put them on a microwave safe plate and place another plate over the top). Spread about 2 T. refried beans on each tortilla. Top with 2 T. of the heathy cheese and put some chopped onion in the center. Roll tightly and place, seam side down, in baking dish. Repeat with rest of the tortillas. Spread the remaining cheese sauce over enchiladas. garnish with chopped onions and parsley. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
These were very good. I enjoyed them and plan on making this recipe in the near future.

I hope you enjoy these recipes. I will share another cheese recipe tomorrow. I think I may have already shared it but this time it will have an added ingredient. See you then. :O)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“Light Shines in the Darkness” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN - Lesson 3...

Installment #3 Be blessed :O)