Friday, November 9, 2018

Some Help Along the Way series...Mayo

When trying to get away from using dairy -finding a substitute for Mayo is important. Here are a few recipes found in this cookbook for Mayo. I have not made mayo yet - because the need has not come up. I usually make deviled eggs for our family holidays - I need to make up some mayo test it out to see if one of these recipes would work well in my deviled eggs. It would be awesome if I could use one of these recipes and they end up tasting close to how they taste with Mayo- I don't want to disappoint any of my family members. I will probably test this out before Thanksgiving to see what I need to plan for. I will let you know what I end up doing. 



Dee's Cashew Sunflower Mayo 



2 c. cashews

1/2 c. sunflower seeds

1 c. lemon juice 

1 c. honey 

1 med onion, peeled

1 T. salt 

1 c. water



Put all ingredients into a blender, blend for 8-10 minutes or until smooth. (A Vita-Mix blender works best for this recipe) Refrigerate to set. The mayo can also be frozen. 



Here is another recipe for mayo from same cookbook. 



Tofu Mayo 



1 lb. extra firm tofu 

1/4 c. lemon juice

3 T. honey 

1 tsp. onion powder 

1 tsp. salt 



Mash tofu and put into the blender; add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Refrigerate. 



One more I want to share because it looks so yummy. 


~Real Food Recipes by Jurea L. Dawson

3 comments:

  1. They both look like good recipes. I have a similar tofu one, but mine uses the silken Mori Nu tofu. This recipe also has more honey than mine has, and mine does not have onion powder in it. Between the two recipes here, I recommend you try out the tofu one with your deviled eggs. I think that one will be more similar to the regular mayo taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those recipes look good! I agree that the tofu mayo will likely be more similar for using in deviled eggs. Just in case you want to experiment, here's a mayo recipe I use a lot:
    2 boxes extra firm Mori-Nu Tofu (24.6 ounces)
    1 T onion powder
    1 T yeast flakes
    ½ t garlic powder
    2 t salt
    ¼ c water
    ¼ c fresh lemon juice (lime mixed in is good too!)
    1 t olive oil
    If I want a stronger lemon flavor, like for a dip or something, I'll sub more lemon juice for the water. It's also great with fresh herbs chopped up in it for a dip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. Tried and true recipes are the best!!

      Delete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“Light Shines in the Darkness” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN - Lesson 3...

Installment #3 Be blessed :O)