Friday, April 21, 2017

Biblical Portrait....series

 
"Every wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down."
Proverbs 14:1
 
Few women are aware of how much influence they have on their surroundings.
 
Regardless of our marital status or living arrangements, all of us as women have some type of "house." That "house" may be our immediate family, or neighborhood, our workplace, our school, our church, or our nation.
 
Through our attitudes, our words, and our behavior, we have the power to bless and build the lives of those around us; we also have the power to tear them down and destroy them.
 
On the following pages, you will find a series of contrasting statements that suggest specific ways we can built up or tear down our homes. Check the statements that best describe your attitudes, words, and actions towards those that God has place in your life.
 
Ask God to reveal whether  you are wisely helping others by building them up, or foolishly hurting and hindering them by tearing them down.
 
DO not let the enemy discourage you by what you may see. Rather, as you become aware of attitudes, words, or actions that are tearing down your home, agree with God, confessing your foolishness. Then, in each of those areas, ask Him to make you a wise woman and to help you build a home that will bring great glory to Him.
 

Do my Words "build up"....or "tear down"?

  • I frequently express gratitude for the benefits that I have received from God and others (Colossians 3:15).
  • I frequently grumble about having what I don't want or wanting what I don't have.
  • I build others up with words of praise, appreciation, and admiration (Ephesians 4:29).
  • I often hurt others with criticial, belittling words. I am quick to point out the failures of others.
  • I am quick to humble myself and seek forgiveness when I have wronged someone (Matthew 5:23-24)
  • I tend to defend or justify myself rather than admitting when I am wrong.
  • I am faithful in praying for God to work in others' lives(i.e., husband, children, friends, pastors, etc.)(Ephesians 6:18).
  • I spend more time talking to friends and counselors about the needs in the lives of those around me, than I do in fervent, intercessory prayer on their behalf.
  • I seek to speak only wise words that point people to the Word and ways of God (Proverbs 31:26).
  • I am quick to share my own opinions about matters, rather than consciously pointing people to the Word and ways of God.
  • My words encourage others and minister health and life to their spirits (Proverbs 12:18)
  • My words tent to make others feel discouraged and defeated.
  • I am careful to speak words that are absolutely truthful(Ephesians 4:25).
  • I sometimes shade or exaggerate the truth for my own personal benefit.
  • I am quick to hear and slow to speak. (James 1:19).
  • I am not a good listener. I tend to dominate conversations and want other to listen to me.
  • When provoked, I generally respond with a gentle answer(Proverbs 15:1).
  • I am easily provoked and tend to respond with harsh words.
  • I restrain my words ( Proverbs 10:19, 17:27).
  • I talk too much.
************************************************************
As I read these and type them out~ it gives me time to reflect on each statement. And it gives me a lot to think about. I have found bits of myself on either side. I am so thankful for the Word of God and the wisdom we can glean from it when we take the time to study.

Next week we will be talking about our Actions. See you then. :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

19: Go to the Ant