Wednesday, December 16, 2015

A Healthy Substitution for Mac and Cheese

So last week - I shared about how I found the awesome cookbooks! This week I thought I would share a recipe with you all that I have already tried and found that I liked it. It is a healthy Mac and Cheese recipe - using no milk or cheese. It is not only really pretty good - but it is also very filling.

 

Mac and Cheese

1 1/2 C. whole-wheat macaroni
 
Cheese Sauce:
 
1 C. water
3/4 C. raw cashews
1 1/2 T. nutritional yeast flakes
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 T. lemon juice
2 oz.  pimentos OR 1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
 
Boil 6 cups of water. Stir in macaroni. Boil for 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Drain. Do not rinse. Return to pan. Add Cheese Sauce and cook until thickened.
Cheese Sauce: Blend all ingredients until smooth.
 
When I made this - I did not use the whole-wheat macaroni. My husband does not like the whole wheat products like that. So it's find to use either. I was listening to a program earlier this week and they were talking about food sources for calcium- because it's better to get our nutrients through our food if possible. Anyway one of the things listed was regular spaghetti- so I am figuring any of the noodles would be a good source of calcium- since they all have about the same basic ingredients.
One thing I would like to add - if you make this and have left overs- you may have to add a little milk or water to it when you reheat it to cream it up a bit.
 

Remember my step-dad had a heart attack earlier this month? Well he is suppose to really be watching his salt intake. He really loves Mac and Cheese- but as you know it is very high in sodium. Well that is one reason why this Mac and Cheese recipe was the first one that I tried- a way for him to still have something he loves but a lot lower sodium content and also lower in fat- well it may not be a lot lower in fat - but it is a healthy kind of fat. A fat that your body needs. Anyway my Mom and he really liked the Mac and Cheese. We all think it is a good substitution. :O)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)