Friday, March 27, 2015

Around Our Yard

Ok - the other night I was going to go check on my baby chicks and thankfully I looked out the window on the door- and saw this:
 
We have several stray cats in the area that I feed. And this skunk thought that I was leaving food out for him. So the next couple of nights I decided to bring the leftover food in every night. Well I guess once the skunk came looking for food a couple of times and realized he would not be finding food unless he got up during the day - so he changed his schedule- how do I know?
 
Well just an hour or so ago I was about to go work on mowing my yard. As I walked through my bedroom I looked out my window and this is what I saw:
He was napping right there by my baby chicks pen. I watched him closely and ran and got the mower and took it around to the front yard so I could at least get part of the mowing done hat I wanted to get one.
Then I watched the skunk to see if I could figure out where he was going. So now I think I know where he is living.
 
When I got done with mowing the front yard - or at least to a stopping point - I just left mower in the front yard. I am going to wait till my husband comes home and that way one of us can put mower up while the other one is on the look out for the skunk.
 
By the way, Six skunks have tested positive for rabies in our area since January. And a friend of mine said that she had looked up skunks and that if they were out during the day - they are probably sick. So there is a good chance that our skunk has rabies or something else. So we will have to take care of him and soon - I don't want my other animals to get sick.
 
In other news- On Thursday morning I was in my kitchen working and when I turned around guess what I saw? Not one but 2 hummingbirds!! I was so excited! I had heard that some people had seen them in the area so I had put my feeders out about a week ago. The only problem is that I have been gone SO much this week that I had not had a chance to see them yet, until yesterday! Now I see them here and there throughout the day. I am so happy they are back- it just is another sign that spring is here!
 
Our baby chicks are doing very well. They are loving their outside time. I can not wait till they get bigger or the weather warms up a bit at night so that I can leave them access to going out in their play yard all the time - so they don't have to wait for me to go let them out. Let me tell you- when I go out there and they know they are going to get to go outside- they are so joyful and excited - it is contagious! That is one reason why I love chickens- they have a way of calming me. I have always loved watching them. I have a great little story from when I was a little girl that I have shared before and I will be sharing it again soon - since I am thinking that most of my readers now have probably not heard the story.
 
When I was out mowing - I was reminded of some wonderful things to be thankful for: as the wind blew through my hair - I was reminded how wonderful it was to have hair again. It still is no where near how long as I would like it to be (at least shoulder length), but it is so nice to have hair that is long enough to blow in the wind. Then as I finished a large % of the front yard(our yard is big) I was thankful that I am stronger and able to accomplish more than I have in a while. And as I breath deeply I am thankful because it feels so good- to have mowed and I might be tired but I am feeling very good. It's nice to have it done and it's nice to be able to look out there and enjoy the fruits of my labor- a much better view.
 
Well I better close - because I have the other half of my To Do list to work on now. I hope everyone is doing well. :O)

1 comment:

  1. Is there someone in your area who you can call to take care of the skunk for you?
    We have a lot of them this time of year...they hibernate (partially) during the winter months, and are all out and about now...I have to remember to use my nose first before I open the door to let out the dogs! So far we have been lucky.
    My husband does the mowing here, and the funny thing is that almost all of the area where there is grass he planted himself...Grass doesn't grow around pine trees very well, so he had to plant a special blend of grass seed.
    Its too early for the humming birds here, but all of the geese have returned...and some of the summer birds are at the feeder...It's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories