Sunday, January 19, 2020

Rummage Shop? and Comfort Zones

I had never heard the word "rummage" before when my grandmother from Colorado talked about volunteering at the Rummage Shop. And probably for the longest time I really did not even know what she was talking about. When I got older I finally figured it out - she volunteered at a local resale store - one that benefited some great cause I am sure - but sadly I don't know what. Anyway all of this was brought to my mind recently when I made the decision to volunteer at my favorite little thrift store nearby! I was there on Sunday and I heard the lady that runs the place talking to someone that they needed some English speaking volunteers. Truth be told I had already been thinking about volunteering there - I had even asked the previous lady - but she did not seem to interested and a volunteer there told me she liked to micromanage the place - so I figured it was best if I just left it well enough alone. That was probably about a year ago. After I heard that conversation I came home and I spent some time thinking about it and praying about it. Sometimes I feel like I don't have enough time do all the things I need to do and want to do so I have struggling with if I wanted to commit or not. I also was thinking about all of the times that I have to take my MIL to appointments. Well the next time they were open - Tuesday - I went and talked to "C" and she said she thought I would make a great volunteer! And asked if I wanted to come in on Thursday during their work time from 10am - 2pm. And I said sure. I went and I really enjoyed it. We got a lot of things done and I was told that since I loved books - I could spend time working in that area - and have the ability to pull books out that I may not think are suitable to sell there- something I have REALLY wanted to do for a while. Very rarely do books come through that are not very good and should not be there - but I am happy to know that I will be able to work on organizing the books and get that area looking even nicer. I am very excited about it. I still am worried about the time aspect of it since it looks like I will be working there Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 -2pm. But I know that this is something I need to be doing and that God will help work out all the other stuff. It is a pretty laid back environment and if I have appointments or what ever than I just let them know I will not make it or leave early or come late - what ever works. I am so glad that God has opened up this door for me to put some of my abilities to work.

I also think back to my grandmother and think how happy she would have been to hear that I was following in her footsteps. And it helps me feel a bit closer to her. I never lived near her and never got a chance to really get to know her so this seems to be a small blessing to me to help me to feel more connected to her.

And you know how I was saying earlier in the week that going to the strength training class was out of my comfort zone - well this is also out of my comfort zone as well- at least some of the jobs- like pricing things....for example. But I am sure this experience will stretch me and help me grow.

1 comment:

  1. We were too far south to get any snow. Glad you got to enjoy it some. :O)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

33: The Way to Captivity