Thursday, September 28, 2017

A Broader View of Her Life

So have I told you guys lately how much I love the little thrift store in a town nearby? Well last Sunday I spent a little time checking out the books and look at the gem I found! For 50 cents!! I loved reading through the Little House on the Prairie books just several years ago- like in the last 10 years. I had not read them before.
And even though I have just read the first chapter of this book - I know I am going to love it as well. The first chapter basically goes over some history of how her parents came to be and ended with her being born. Only the first chapter read, but of so much delightfulness from this book!
 
"It was during these years that Ma wrote a little school composition on the subject of "home."  She told of her own home, and how she loved it, and she put down a thought that she carried close to her heart forever."
 
Ma's daddy died when she was seven. Several years later when Ma was ten - her mother remarried. And probably several years after that is when they are talking about "during these years" in the paragraph above.
 
Here is what Ma wrote:
 
"How sweet and enduring is the name of home! What music in that sacred sound!
It is there we can have the society of our beloved parents, brothers, and sisters; and how delightful it is after the avocations of the day to assemble around the bright, blazing fire variously employed: perhaps one with a book, to read aloud some interesting story, for the benefit and amusement of us all.
Although the wind is whistling without and blowing the snow, in every direction, making drifts as high as the fences; yet we heed it not. But we oftentimes think of and pity those who have no comfortable home, to secure them from the inclemency of the weather.
Who could wish to leave home and wander forth in the world to meet its tempests and its storms? Without a mother's watchful care and a sister's tender love? Not one.
 They would very likely meet with some warm friends, and some that would try to make it pleasant for them, and appear as much like home as possible, for which they would be very grateful. Yet after all it would not be like home.
Then give me a place at home, a seat at m father's fireside, where all is so happy and free."
 
 
Someone tucked a couple of newspaper articles into the back of this book - one of them from 1997. I am going to see if I can scan them and share with a friend - I might share them here as well.
 
Maybe you have a thrift store near you- have you looked for books there? You might be surprised at the gems you find! :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

27: The Facts About Fats - Part 2