Monday, April 25, 2016

The "Rest" that God has Promised

I promise that I will get back to posts about our vacation, but this morning during my quiet time some verses caught my attention and so I dived in deeper to find out more about them and I would like to take a little time this morning to share a few gems that I found.

There remains therefore a rest to the people of God.
For he that is entered into His rest,
 he also has ceased from his own works,
 as God did from His.
Hebrews 4:9-10
 
As I read these verses and reread them- I desired a better understanding of them so I got my Bible Commentary out and began studying Hebrews 4.
 
I found this written in italics in the very beginning of this study:
 
"1 The rest of Christians is attained by faith, 12 The power of God's word.
14 By our high priest Jesus the Son of God, subject to infirmities but not sin,
16 we must and may go boldly to the throne of grace."
 
There was so much written on these two verses but I have picked out just a couple of the cool things that I found to share with you all today.

"We enter into God's "rest" when we "consider" Jesus (ch. 3:1) and listen to His voice (chs. 3:7, 15; 4:7) , when we exercise faith in Him (ch. 4:2,3), when we cease from our own efforts to earn salvation (v.10), when we "hold fast our profession"(v. 14), and when we draw near to the throne of grace (v. 16). Those who would enter into this experience must beware of "an evil heart of unbelief" (chs. 3:12) , of hardening their hearts (chs. 3:8, 15; 4:7). They must strive to enter into God's "rest" (ch. 4:11)."
 
"Those who enter into God's "rest" will "hold fast" their "profession" (v. 14). They will "come boldly unto the throne of grace" to "obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need" (v. 16)."
*These two quotes are from SDA Bible Commentary, volume 7 page 423*
 

"The rest here spoken of is the rest of grace."

"It is "the true rest of faith."

(these quotes are from EG White)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

27: The Facts About Fats - Part 2