Monday, April 18, 2016

Stretching the Food Budget

 Ok - so I wanted to share a bit of a money saver with you all today.
A lot of times on Sabbath for lunch - especially when the family is all here we have spaghetti for lunch, especially since our granddaughter like spaghetti. My husband likes his spaghetti sauce with meat. I like mine without meat. And some of our family do not really like spaghetti sauce - so we serve ours separately.  Which turns out to be a really good things - especially when we want pizza for supper. What we have done - is I make up pizza crust. I will add the recipe to the end of this post for the pizza crust recipe that I use. Anyway - so on the pizza or half of pizza - which ever is wanted at that time- for my husband - he will use the left over spaghetti sauce with meat - and that way he has hamburger on his pizza- then the cheese and onions are added to his.
 
What I have done is put a bit of olive oil over the pizza crust - then add a bit of pizza sauce/ spaghetti sauce- or tomato sauce with some seasonings added- that is what this jar is- the left overs from the last time I made pizza. I will add that recipe as well - just in case anyone is interested in it.
Then I put some cheese down - and then I add various veggies- I really like onions, olives - both black and green, red peppers(or any of the colors- what ever I have at the time) And then I might sprinkle a bit more cheese over the top if I want.
 
This ends up being a very economical meal. You would not believe how easy it is to make your own  pizza!  
 
Here is a pizza that my husband and I shared last week end. My side is the one with olives.

What I have learned is that I want to either get my pizza crust thinner - or cook it a bit more.
 Oh and the above is before it was baked.
 

Pizza Crust

1 package (or 2 1/2 tsps) of active dry yeast 
1 Cup warm water
2 1/2 Cups flour
2 T. oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
 
Dissolve yeast in warm water in medium bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Beat vigorously 20 strokes. Let rest 5 minutes.
Recipe says it makes 2 pizzas.
 
(This recipe is from my Betty Crocker Cookbook)
  

 Pizza Sauce

1~ 15 oz. can of tomato puree - or tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp ground thyme
 
Mix this altogether. Then spoon onto crust and spread around. A thin layer will do. So this could actually last for several different pizza meals!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking