Monday, September 1, 2014

Groats - It's What's for Breakfast part 2

So last time I shared what groats were and I wanted to do that again - just in case someone read this post and did not read the last one.
So here is what Wikipedia says about Groats:

Groats, are the hulled kernels of various cereal grains such as oat, wheat, and rye.
 Groats are whole grains that include the cereal germ and fiber-rich bran portion of the grain
as well as the endosperm (which is the usual product of milling).
from  Wikipedia

I wanted to share a little more about this because someone asked if it was healthy - it is for sure healthy! In fact, You are the one that gets to choose what nutrients you really want by researching different ingredients of how you want to make your groat cereal.

Here is a list - not an exhaustive list though- of some of the choices:
Barley
Buckwheat
Millet
Oats
Rye Berries
Spelt
Wheat berries

You can make your cereal with any combination of these grains -or just pick one. I like to use Oats - because of the fiber they provide - but I will be changing things out in order to get different nutritional benefits and to find which ones I like the best.

In the last post - I said to soak the grains all day long- well I think I might reducing it down to just a few hours - so that my cereal is a bit more chewy.

Anyway I hope that this will help answer any questions you may have about - using groats.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

19: Go to the Ant