Friday, November 6, 2020

Recanning and Election Results? Hmmm

A couple of weeks ago I canned up several batches of salsa. I was so disappointed with the last batch ended up being way too tart. I learned an important lesson that week- Taste what ever you are canning before you actually can it - just in case you need to tweak it a bit. 

Well since I was disappointed - I just left canning well enough alone for a couple of weeks. This week with the extra stress of the unresolved election results-  I decided it was the perfect time to recan the salsa and see if I could fix the issue. 
I felt bad because I would have to "waste" some lids. Especially during this time that it is so hard to even find lids, but I decided that these lids would be my storage lids. I have heard that used canning lids do much better when it comes to vacuum sealing dry goods. All I will need to do is to use a little alcohol to wipe off the labeling - stating the date and "salsa" on the lids. But I am leaving that on there until I actually use them - so I will know these are used lids. 

I added some chopped purple onion, 1 ear of corn, and some cilantro. I had not had enough cilantro when I made the salsa so I knew it needed that already. I think this batch turned out much better than the tangy salsa I had on hand that no one would enjoy. 
 
Since I took these photos I have wiped off these lids and labeled them and put them away. 
I am so glad that I took the time to recan these jars. Now I have put away some yummy salsa. 
Next time I can something i WILL be tasting what ever it is before I can - just to make sure I get a great product. Tweaking before canning saves a lot of time. Ask me, I know. :O) 

And just in case you were wondering the election results- Here they are: 
Something floating around facebook - so very true.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

34: Real Bread and Your Blood Sugar