Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Getting More Phytonutrients #1

Ok- So I mentioned I would be starting an "Eating from the Rainbow" series. Well first we need to start with this series about getting more phytonurtrients. The Information I will be sharing during this series is from the "IFM- 2015 The Institute for Functional Medicine." It is a handout that my MIL got on a recent Dr's visit. She is a click away from osteoporosis and her Dr is encouraging her to get as many of her needed nutrients from food. And this handout has some great tips - along with a list of foods from the rainbow.

Today we will start with the first pointer:

"Aim for 9-13 Servings of Plant Foods Everyday 

We need about 9-11 servings of whole plant foods if we want to prevent chronic disease. A typical servings only half a cup of cooked vegetables, one cup of raw leafy vegetable, or a medium-sized fruit. It would be best to aim for every meal of the day to have about 3-4 servings of plant foods so that at three general meals per day(not including snacks), you would make your serving requirement on a daily basis."

Another benefit for aiming for this many servings of plant foods is that you get more fiber in your diet and fiber is so beneficial in so many different ways! :O)

1 comment:

  1. Good for you to get more vegetables in!

    I'm on a health journey myself. I'm trying to eat healthier myself.

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“Light Shines in the Darkness” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN - Lesson 3...

Installment #3 Be blessed :O)