Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Just a little cuteness...

Here is a photo of our baby chicks that we got back in 2009, the last time we got baby chicks. I thought I would get this photo out to help me focus on the positive of getting baby chicks instead of on the sadness of my girls being gone.
 
We have been working on getting their space ready. We got the layers of chicken wire and tarps off of the roof of the large dog run. This is in order to prepare for building the roof with tin. We are tired of having to put a new tarp out there every single year - if not more often than that. I like to have the area of there chicken pin at least somewhat protected from the elements. That way they have some where to go in bad weather.
 
 
I can't remember if I told ya'll that we were going to have to wait till the beginning of March to get the babies. Sorry if this is repeat information. Anyway the first month it is very important that the babies be checked on at least 5 times a day. You need to make sure they have clean water and food accessible. And they need to have their home set up so that they have the temperature set pretty high at first- they need to have it at about 95 degrees. And their home needs to have options for them - warmer area and an area that if they are hot they can move away from the heat source. After the first week -you gradually bring the temperature down- by 5 degree increments until it is temperature of their environment. So anyway baby chicks need someone watching out for them. So this is the reason why we have to wait till the beginning of March to order our babies, because Pathfinders has a campout scheduled for the last week of Feb. unless it is bad weather - only problem is that we would not know if it is being canceled for bad weather until the Wed. before the campout. So we are going to wait till the week after that to get our chicks.
 
When we got rid of our chickens, we explained to SweetPea that we were going to get baby chicks. So I am sure the next time she comes to see us she will be disappointed that we do not have baby chicks yet. But thankfully by the next visit we will have them!
 
It has felt good to at least be preparing for the babies. I have been doing research- I found a great website that has a great list of things that can be used with the baby chicks so I am learning new things. And I will need to go to TSC to see what supplies they have for the babies - and decide which place has the best buys. Even though we have had baby chicks a couple of different times- I have learned new information this time and I hope that it will lead to even more success with the babies.
 
Anyway that is just one of the things that I have been doing to keep myself busy this week.
Tomorrow I have my appointment with my oncologist - bloodwork at 10:00am and then seeing the Dr at 10:30am. This will be the first time going by myself. My husband had been able to work a double and be off on Fridays. The problem is that my Dr is no longer seeing patients at this facility on Fridays so we had to change the day to Wed. I am so glad that this is not the first 3 month visit. That way I am not as nervous about going alone. I am thinking I might even stop by a thrift shop that I enjoy going to - but don't like to do all the driving to get to it - just to go to the thrift shop - so this way - it will just be a couple of blocks out of my way - instead of a 30 minute drive. Anyway - please keep my in prayers for that appointment and that I will get a clean bill of health. Thanks so much! :O) 

2 comments:

  1. You will have a lot of fun with your new babies! Make sure you post lots of pictures when you get them! Will be praying for a good visit for you with your doctor tomorrow--Jesus will be with you, even if your hubby cannot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly be posting photos! Thanks for the reminder that Jesus will be with me- so thankful for that! :O)

      Delete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)