Thursday, September 9, 2021

Another Silver Lining

 So I had done a series on silver linings from Covid. Well there had been another one that I have noticed. 

So you all know that for a while I was volunteering at the little thrift store in a two nearby? I really enjoyed it and it was very hard for me to have to quit volunteering there. But over the last several weeks of me going there - I have come to realize that it is probably a good thing that I am no longer volunteering there. 

Just a couple of little stories to make my point. 

One day as I walked up to look at the things outside - the lady that runs the thrift store and one of the main worker in the back room - were standing outside - looking across the street at the dumpster that belongs to the church associated with this thrift store. Sometimes random people like to dump their trash there - and so if these ladies catch someone dumping they usually will say something to them. Well this time as they were watching they realized that the man was going through the stuff in the trash can. The lady that runs the thrift store - said oh that is fine - as long as he is not trying to dump anything. The lady from the backroom said in a really rude tone - "that is disgusting." And there were several other situations where some very ugly attitudes were demonstrated. 

Then just last week as I was looking in the book section several of the ladies were sitting in the office talking about one of their past workers, a lady who it was very obvious that she was a bit special ed. They sat in the office talking about her for at least 5-10 minutes. And of course they could be heard by almost everyone in the store. It made me so uncomfortable -probably because after I left - I am sure there were discussions about me. 

Anyway - so my point is that there was some negative attitudes about things and such that I would not want to be around all the time. And as have been confronted with these situations - I have realized that it is a blessing that I am not there. 

Now before I end this - I have to say that there are some very nice people there and a majority of the time they are probably good to work with. And if I were asked to return to volunteering there - I would probably say - yes - but would probably only volunteer 1 day a week. I have picked up so many other things that I enjoy doing - that I cant devote 3 days there anymore. And the reason I would say yes- is to work in the book section. 


I had worked so hard to get the book sections looking nice. And by the way this is only one sections of the books. Its about all this bad. It is sad. And when I am there - I try to do a bit of organizing but - it would truly need hours of someone working on it to get it back in shape, but this is why I would say yes- if asked to go back. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

31: Honey, I Love You!