Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Radishes May Help With What?

So last week I said to come back and I would share something else that radishes were good for. Well to be honest I used to not like radishes. I didn't eat them for a long time. But over the last year or two I have come to appreciate them. And this newest thing that radishes do- has me planting them even more. 

So I was looking through some posts on a gardening facebook page that I am a member of and I came across a comment where someone said to plant radishes around your squash to help with squash bugs. Well that got my attention really quick. I love yellow squash!! But the last year or so I have had the biggest fight with squash bugs. Last year I may have gotten 1 squash from the 3-4 plants I planted. I was very sad. 

This year I planted my yellow squash and then planted some radishes around the outside edge. I also planted a marigold plant in each garden box. And between the garden boxes that house my yellow squash plants - is this galvanized steel wash tube of nasturtiums. I share all of that because it could very well be the combo of all of these flowers - but my plants have done so much better. I have still had a few squash buts but they have not been invasive as before. When I see a bug - I grab it throw it on the ground and squish it with my show. 

A youtuber said to be sure and look on your leaves and when you find the squash bug eggs- to wipe them off and that will also help with bugs. All these are things you can do to help yourself have more success with squash. I had started several more yellow squash plants - because someone said that they just plant new squash plants ever few weeks. Well like I said I love squash enough that I planted a couple more plants once I harvested my red potatoes! 

I also planted a butternut squash for the first time this year - I can not wait to see how it does. I may have shared that I had started some earlier - but I hadn't hardened them off enough and the plant died. Last week I planted my newest plant that I had started after my first one died and it seems to be doing really well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

34: Real Bread and Your Blood Sugar