Wednesday, September 20, 2023

A Fall Garden...Yay!!

Hello my friends~ I hope that you all are doing well. I just have a few minutes and thought I would come on to say Hello and a bit of an update. 

Thankfully since the last time I posted we have had a bit cooler weather- Thankfully we have not had any triple digit weather since the last time I wrote but boy those last 2 days were certainly record breaking heat. We are going into a second summer at this point with temps in the mid to upper 90's. But I won't complain because it is a lot better than the triple digit temps. 

We actually got almost 1/2 inch of rain last week and then the week before we got another 1/2 inch. Thankful for that rain but we certainly need a lot more. 

I am actually trying for a fall garden. I have worked hard to keep a few things alive throughout that hot, hot summer - and happy about that. And then I planted more things. And then yesterday I worked for a couple of hours in the garden cleaning it up and planting -direct sowing- seeds in the garden. I planted: 
  • carrots 
  • beets
  • rutabagas
  • collard greens
  • radishes 
  • arugula 
A week or so I planted lettuce seeds out and have seedlings coming up. Yay! I almost forgot to get them planted. I planted a favorite - Parris Island Lettuce and then a new one - Landis Winter Lettuce - maybe ? It was a free seed pack with a Baker Creek order. It will be fun to try this lettuce and see if it is a keeper or not. 

I tried growing rutabagas last year and nothing came up. :( I sure hope that I have better luck this year. If not I may have to do the trick I did with my beets last spring - sow indoors and then transplant a couple of weeks later. I direct sowed my beets this time - fingers crossed that they will grow. I tell you what - Beets from the garden are so good!! I better close for now - for some reason I am not able to scroll to make sure I am typing what I intend to type. So at this point I am typing blind. So if there are errors, please forgive me. 
Hope you are doing good. May God bless and keep you close to His heart! :O) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

33: The Way to Captivity