Sunday, March 25, 2018

Preparing

You know when you are pregnant and are expecting a baby but you are just not quite sure when the baby will arrive? Well that is where we are right now. Several weeks ago we ordered baby chicks and they are suppose to be hatched sometime soon and will ship out on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of this week. We will receive a text to let us know when they have shipped. Then we will just have to be patient because we will still not know for sure when they will arrive.

The past week or so we have worked hard to prepare for their arrival. There is a lot of things that need to be done. And we want to be ready. I have had to read up on what all I need to do when they arrive. Believe it or not- there is a lot of work involved - just like having a baby, there is a lot of care that goes into taking care of baby chicks.

The temperature needs to be right - starting with 95 degrees the first week - then decreasing the temp by 5 degrees each week till they are ok with the temps outside. Today we are doing a trial run with our heat lamp to figure out about where it needs to be to attain the correct temp for them.

While working in the new chicken coop - I got bit by a yellow jacket. Ouch!!! Have you ever been bit by one? It only takes seconds after they sting for you to notice the sting getting stronger and more painful. I think it actually got me twice - the second bit not as much poison. Thankfully I was able to get some of my booboo blend on it pretty quickly and it isn't too awfully bad now.

Well I better go check that temp again in the chicken coop to see if we have it right yet. Oh the sad thing is - its not a you have the right place for the heat lamp and you are done- nope... you have to check on the babies several times a day - one site says to check on them at least 5 times a day. The temps outside will affect the temps and so the lamp might have to be placed closer or placed further away- depending on what the thermometer that is laying on the floor in their new home.

As you can expect, I will let you know when the babies arrive and I will try to get some photos of them. :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“Light Shines in the Darkness” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN - Lesson 3...

Installment #3 Be blessed :O)