Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving is not just a Holiday, but a Choice

Every year when Thanksgiving rolls around many people put more of a focus on what they are thankful for. What is sad is that to some people - this may be the only time that they think of those things that they are thankful for. We all have many things to be thankful for- many of the things that we take for granted of are things to thankful for. Examples of these things could be - running water, indoor toilet, electricity(heat and air), refrigerator, washer, and dryer. Many more things would make the list but these are things that many people take for granted. And so many times we find ourselves feeling sorry for ourselves - when in fact we have much to be grateful for.

I have really enjoyed the friends of mine who have chosen to write about what they are thankful for whether it be by blog or by facebook, I have really been blessed. And feel it is a good thing to get in the habit of doing. Not just for Thanksgiving either. I think that when we are discouraged and depressed - would be an excellent time to take a few moments and think about the things in our lives that we are thankful for.

It might even be a good idea to get a notebook and start a list of what you are thankful for - that way when you are down and having a hard time thinking of what you are thankful for - you can refer back to your notebook.

Another idea - which is something that I do- is have a prayer book. I have a book in which I record prayers - not the whole prayer but when I want to especially remember to pray for certain people and situations. In this book - the left side of the book -is my prayer list - and on the right side of the book - is where I put my praise items. I put a date next to my entries. Later I can come in and next to my prayer list items - when there has been an answer to prayer - I will write a TY - Thank You. And I usually add this as a praise on the other side of the book. It is a way that I can better keep track of prayers that have been answered.

Keeping track of these prayers and answers to prayers are great reminders for us when we are having a hard time. We can go back and see how God has taken care of us in the past and how he will continue to work on our behalf - when we have taken the time to pray about those things that weigh heavy on our hearts.

So even though Thanksgiving is but a memory, please continue to take time to focus on those things in your life that you can be thankful for.

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." James 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)