Monday, September 24, 2018

Ways to Save.....series Homemade Laundry Detergent

So about a week or so ago I decided to start making my own laundry detergent again. I had bought stuff and made it in the past but got lazy and stopped doing it. Then recently I decided to start making my own again. I already had most of the ingredients. I had to go buy the bar soap - but for 97 cents and being able to make up enough laundry detergent for quite some time is very worth it to me.  You can look up different recipes but the recipe I use is from a blog that is no longer running - at least I know it closed down - she may have started blogging again but I haven't found her.

1 C. Borax
1 C. Washing Powder
1 bar of fels Naptha or Ivory soap grated

We run the bar soap through the food processor on "grate" and then we dump the grated soap into small bowl and we trade out and put the chopping blade in to the bottom of the food processor and pour the grated soap on top and run that through till little tiny pieces. Then we add one cup of each borax and washing powder and process it for a bit.

Then we pour this into our older Tupperware container that is used for this purpose only.

Directions is to use 1 Tablespoons per load. If you have a very large load or very dirty load you may want to go to 1 1/2 - 2 Tablespoons.

** An important thing to keep in mind here is that Amazon or that type place is probably not the way to go about buying these ingredients - it is much cheaper in the stores.

Walmart prices
Borax ~  $4.47 (65 ounces per box)                    
Washing Powder~  $3.97 (55 ounces per box)
Fels Naptha~ $.97 per bar

16 Tablespoons per cup - so each batch will make over 32 uses.

I have not figured out how many cups are in each box of washing soda and the borax, but I do know that I have made several batches of laundry detergent and some other stuff and I still have a decent amount left- enough to make another batch or two of laundry detergent.

I have found Ivory is sold in a 10 bar package and is cheaper. I'm sorry I forgot to get the price of it but I believe it was like $3.something.  Anyway it's something to look into, it would bring  the cost down. Plus I think the Ivory soap has a milder scent than the Fels Naptha.  If you use Ivory I am thinking you would want to see how many ounces the Fels Naptha soap is and use that amount of ivory- which if I remember correctly ends up being 1 and a half bars of Ivory- but it's been a long time since I did that.

This is just one of the ways I like to try to save money. This really did turn into a domino effect- can't wait to share with you the other things I have been doing. When you start trying to see what you can do to save money it opens the door to a lot of possibilities. :0)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, I have made my own for years, hey next time try the Zote you can make a lot with it with one bar,in zote you can get the white already shredded up.Plus zote I found better to get whites whiter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee~ I will check that out!! Thank you for that info! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“Light Shines in the Darkness” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN - Lesson 3...

Installment #3 Be blessed :O)